Writing on Reading

Thursday, May 18, 2006

59 going on 89

I saw a podiatrist today (hoping for help for my long-hurting feet and for the best two-out-of-three opinion on whether I should do weight-bearing exercise as opposed to just stationary bike riding). The X-rays told the doctor (who played tuba in the WHS band with Jenny many long years ago--or not so long ago, depending on your perspective) that while I may claim to be 59, he expected to see an 89 year old woman. Sigh. Guess that osteoporosis affects feet, not just spines. That should have been obvious to me, but no one ever talks about os. excpet in relation to spines. Not just os, but short tendons, high arches, extreme bunions, and hammer toes. All related and not easily fixable. He recommends waiting until I can find 8 weeks to be still and recover for any bunion surgery (and perhaps another go at lengthening the tendons at the same time), and that won't happen until we retire. In the meantime, his verdict is "start walking again--it matters not how slowly" as the weight-bearing part of exercise is important. So if you have to slow down for me to keep up with you, please be patient!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, that's too bad. Is your dr. going to put you on fossamax or some other osteoporosis drug? My mom has been taking fossamax for a couple of years and it has regrown some bone.

    I hope you aren't immobilized for your great trip out west in Aug. We all would really like to go to the zoo with you. We can be pretty slow (thanks to toddler #2) and #1 just has to deal with the slower pace. I'll be slower too as I have to tote #3 around in a carrier.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm already on fosamax, T. Have been for a couple of years and it has helped some. Last summer I got ready for Turkey and Egypt, knowing I'd have to walk (got up to 8 miles a day on the bike, so I had endurance if nothing else), so I'll do the same...and can stay back with the little guys. K doesn't move so fast, either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home