Writing on Reading

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

On my way to FF&W

If I have to spend 6 1/2 hours alone in a car, driving to G.R. where the Festival of Faith & Writing begins tomorrow (at Calvin) and daughter K is waiting impatiently, then today was as good a day to do so as could be imagined. I didn't drive so far north as to outrun spring, and the soft fuzz of pale lime touched most of the trees along the way, against a mid-blue sky scattered with white clouds. In Constantine there was a veritable canopy of shocking lime green! Another hooray for spring.

For companionship, I had hoped to find a tape or CD of The Magician's Nephew because I am working with a very interesting junior English I.S. whose author is comparing it to Philip Pullman's Amber Spyglass. It has been years since I have read the MN but obviously the next few days are not going to yield up any spare reading hours. No luck finding a tape from the Wooster library, however. Therefore, I made do with the radio. Canada's Radio 2 request program was wonderful for as long as I could keep it, especially the King Singer's rendition of the weather report, which I had never heard before. Good for a belly laugh. And Aaron Copeland's explanation for the title of Appalacian Spring was funny and frank too, played on Karl Haas' Adventures in Good Music. For the last hour of my trip I listened to the Calvin Alumni Choir's terrific CD Colors of the Rainbow (I might have that title wrong).

Karen and I have had dinner, visited a bookstore (Pooh's Corner is all set up for autograph parties for the children's lit folk from the Festival tomorrow) and made a requisite trip to Meijers. The tulips we planted together (one of her birthday presents)last fall are up and budding and about to burst in the flowerbeds in front of Eastwood.

Festival begins tomorrow--my first one. My talk is at 3:15 Friday afternoon in the Meeter Center on the same floor of the library on which I worked in 2003. A blessing, don't you agree? Rushdie himself speaks three hours later, so I suppose there's a small chance he might stop by to see what we (another person giving a paper on Midnight's Children) have to say...let's hope not. I'll let you know how it goes. Now I am going to crash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home