Tuesday Lunch Bunch
Perhaps it's because I spend most of my time with students, I don't know, but may I just say that this year's Tuesday lunches in the Faculty Lounge with my peers, mostly retired (I'm the young-un of the bunch and newly included in the group), have been the highlight of my week. Most of these feisty, interesting women are still in the bookclub that I no longer attend (because of spending most of my time with students). That's probably why the level of the conversation is so high: books, music, lectures, local politics, with the inevitable smattering of medical problems thrown in. I have loved it and now must wait until next fall for them to resume on any kind of regular basis. A corrollary: I have enjoyed my recent reading of Genesis with the COW's rabbi (also a peer--a woman nearing 50 if not already launched into that decade of her life), creating our own interfaith dialogue complete with stacks of commentaries and midrashes, as much as I have working with student groups. We are going to meet one more time during exam week before we too disband until next fall. What does this say about me, the person passionate about students (and I still am)??

2 Comments:
At 10:37 AM,
Anonymous said…
It says that, even though you love to give yourself to students, you also need to edify yourself as a student.
Your Genesis study sounds fascinating. I hope you will share some insights with us soon. Do you think you could convince your rabbi friend to tackle Isaiah with you? I've been told that such a dialogue would be more difficult, because Jews hold the Pentateuch in much higher regard than the rest of the O.T.
At 10:55 AM,
Anonymous said…
What a helpful way to think about myself, Reuben. "Edify yourself as a student." Just as I begin the huge revision of the comparative study with loads of studying to do. Thanks.
As for the study, I have not written about it before because I have not asked her permission to do so. So when I do, I will be very oblique. But fascinating it is indeed, and we are deepening what would seem an unlikely friendship. At the rate we're going (two chapters in four sessions), it will take a while to get through Genesis even though we began with chap. 12. Never fear that links to the gospel are very apparent in the text. Galatians 3 says that Gen 12 is the "gospel beforehand."
Post a Comment
<< Home