Great-Grandmother S's pink flowered tea set used at last
Late this morning two of the most enchanting, beautiful and charming princesses arrived at our door for a tea party with Karen, who was pretty spiffy herself. However, I was not there to greet them because in the middle of the night (does 3:30 a.m. qualify as middle of the night?), I was called (though Chuck answered the phone on the second try) to stay with another enchanting princess, toddler Ella, while her mom and dad went to the hospital to get her a little sister. Retirement sure has its adventures, right :) :):) Note: Kimia Esther arrived after an emergency c-section about nine p.m. that evening.
Anyhow, when my replacement arrived--as baby sister had not--I raced home for the party. Great-Grandma S. had left for her posterity a pink flowered china tea set that I believe she had bought that magical year she had lived in Ireland. In any case, it had not been out of its bubble wrap in over twenty years, and such a tea party as this had been promised (by whom? me??) for years as well. Today was the day. And may I say that I am very thankful that Karen and I had prepped all the delectable treats last night? Mini blueberry muffins, Italian pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, homemade applesauce prepared Grandma S's way with marshmallows toasted on top, and cranberry/sprite "tea." Great-Aunt Ruth was with us in spirit as well because she had cross-stitched the flower placemats. Claire and Lilly had brought bunches of flowers from the farmers' market as well, and then Claire decided that the royal table needed to be crowned with all the flower bouquets I had in the house, so as the picture will reveal, it was a table worthy of its diners. The only ones missing were two other little California S-princesses, Miriam and Erika. We wish you had been with us!!
Of course, not being well practiced in entertaining groups of princesses, I had not thought of a good craft ahead of time. Princesses do not just eat and run. The only thing I could think of was trimming straw hats, but as a trip to several stores on Thursday convinced me, straw hats are out of season. Therefore, some prepared crafts and the good old standby playdoh went into a shopping cart. I am glad to report they were a hit. Karen's immense playmobile collection was also a hit with Claire. Six is the perfect age for them, so it seems, so we will have to have her over again (without her little sis) for a playmobile party. As the girls' mom said as they left, we'll have to make this an annual affair! (And now for a nap for the retiree.)

2 Comments:
At 1:17 AM,
Unknown said…
Miriam and Erika would have loved the princess tea party!
At 9:11 AM,
Anonymous said…
I sure wish they could have been here. We'll have to recreate such an event (perhaps with AR's good china??) when we get out there--we're hoping for next spring.
Post a Comment
<< Home