Writing on Reading

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Anther kind of diversity

And then there is cultural diversity--all within the context of the denominational structure to which I have returned. My dad took me to a concert at Raybrook a week ago for the independent living folk, assisted living folk , even some nursing home folk and friends of Raybrook. It was a southern-style men's gospel quartet, as good as I have ever heard and much appreciated by the full-house audience. Then yesterday I returned for an equally well appreciated book review/lecture--if the number of questions afterwards is any indication. The former editor of the Banner was reviewing N.T. Wright's Suprised by Hope quite favorably. The room was full of still intellectually engaged people (I brought the average age down quite a bit and, seriously, was the only non-white head). As many of you know, I'm a great N.T. Wright fan (if also discerning, I hope). Kuyenhoven referred to Calvin CRC's former pastor, Rev. Boomsma, as having found solace in N.T. Wright's work. One conclusion I have drawn from this tiny sampling of G.R./CRC's offerings (Raybrook, for those of you who don't know, is a CRC-associated retirement community): lots of diversity here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home