Writing on Reading

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Retirement Enhancements



Now that my seminar is over, I can feel as though I am retired--though I am working on an article from my presentation and am putting together a syllabus for a class I am going to (can you believe it??!?) propose to Calvin through the seminar folk themselves. Therefore, I can enjoy each of these two "retirement enhancements" most every day: one for the physical body and the other for the mind/heart/soul/spirit. We have even ridden our bikes over to the Home Acres neighborhood, a little more than a mile from here, where I lived through kindergarten. Does Bruce have any memories of those years?? "Hey, lady, why are you wearing that pink hat?" is a query I have received. The wild pink is compliments of Karen....

3 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Do I have any memories from the Home Acres neighborhood? You bet I do. Along with a general recollection that our neighbor's name was Mrs. Shippy, which we thought was pretty funny - you know, Mississippi and all, I remember two things clearly. One was the caged raccoon that our neighbor behind us had. The cage was right up against the fence between the two properties. Hence, it was real close to our yard. I remember being quite frightened by that thing and I remember mom assuring me that we were safe in our yard etc.

    The other memory is dad burying our pet dog (which had been hit by a car) in our back yard one night. It obviously made a big impression on me because it was my (our) introduction to death, as I recall.

    Did you ride your bikes by the house on Ridgewood?

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your memory is better than mine, and I was older (well, I still am)! I can remember a birthday party, doing something wrong and having to wait for dad to come home to settle the matter and walking down to Division to pick up a school bus to Seymour Christian School. It seemed like a long ride at the time. Now that you mention it, I can remember the dog burial incident. Yes, we have ridden our bikes by there--it's about a mile straight east of us--and we sent Dad down to confirm which house was ours. He has made a tentative identification. I can more readily conjure up memories of Fitzhugh and Hope Streets when I go to the Fulton St. market--a terrific summertime destination.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger robert settergren said…

    I probably remember even more. We attended Home Acres CRC and because I was supposedly a faculty member of Calvin (really a teaching assistant) was treated accordingly and ended up Sunday school superintendent. Was sorta buddy buddy with the minister, who was on the opposite side of the fence regarding various issues of the day, but I don't think he was aware that I disagreed with him.
    I can remember on very heavy snow storm that required Barbara to trudge all the way home up Ridgewood to get home.
    I remember the neighbor behind us had a nice 47 Ford V8 that i admired and wished we had bought rather than a 46 Ford Mercury that was in bad shape.
    I remember that the Shippy's owned a drug store near 44th and Division, which I recently checked and is no longer there.
    I remember driving to Calvin from there one winter morning and sliding into another car.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home