Writing on Reading

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In and out of that door 20,000 times


Last night was the departmental retirement dinner for Chuck and his colleague, Dale, two of the six college's retirees. We had a wonderful dinner, full of laughter and reminiscences and "gotcha" stories about the two--all in great fun. The dept. gave Chuck a gift card to his favorite golf course in G.R. and a folder of sweet, sweet letters from his colleagues and former students. On the cover was a picture of Chuck dressed as Euhler from a year ago with the caption, "Now I'll have less distractions from reading the New York Times." (They didn't let me edit the grammar....) I guess they know him well.

Giving Chuck my gift allows me to rest from my coniving of over a year. I had commissioned a painting from a WV artist who does the graduation show here annually of the Taylor Hall doors. Doing this without his knowledge was the trick, especially paying for it. I had used my AR's inheritance account because C rarely looks at it and I used cashiers checks. However, after spring break, he was opening the two-week stack of mail, including bank statements, and said, "What's this xxx out of the account?" I had to dissemble (not well), but at least he did not know what I was getting him. He told me last night he thought it might have been the new recliner we have our eye for the new house. Anyhow, I have been storing it in my office and yesterday, instead of having lunch with him, I begged off saying I had to go home to change my clothes for the party and (did that but also) took it down to the restaurant where they hid it for me.

Here he is looking right after opening it. He said that he had been in and out of that beautiful front door entrance at least 20,000 times. (In later years, when he drove to work, he went in and out of the back door.) Blessing on you, Chuck!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home