Writing on Reading

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cancer-Free

I have been in Atlanta for the last nine days, helping my brother-in-law give home hospice care to his dear wife, Jean. She died yesterday and, having stood watch, I realize that when people talk about a “valiant fight,” they are not just using clichés. This has been such an honor, but an excruciating one.

Most of my small readership knows that Jean was diagnosed with her cancer last spring, had surgery that the doctors thought would buy her a few years, but within ten weeks, it had metastasized. Since then their lives have been consumed by medical procedures and increasing physical pain. Therefore, when the time was right two weeks ago, they elected home hospice care with no medical support systems except for pain control. Each day Rod, Sheri, the hospice nurses and I (and on the last day, our special duty nurse, arrived just in time from Africa, Robin) faced a different set of challenges for her care. I myself had to master a whole new vocabulary and a whole set of practical skills for which working in a Writing Center has not prepared me. I can’t say that I was an especially good learner.

Everyone is special. I know that. And most are loved. But Rod and Jean and their kids and now grandkids form an unusual circle of Christian family love in this coarse culture of ours. The nurse in charge of Jean’s care said, “I wish that all my families…” and then she stopped. Then she said, “This family has been such a blessing to me.” (The extraordinary people who make up hospice staff could be the subject of another post.)

She was not the only one to speak the truth yesterday. When I called Karen to tell her, she said through her tears, “I am not ready for this.” And then she asked, “Is Aunt Jean cancer-free?” It was through my own tears that I responded, “Yes, Aunt Jean is cancer-free.”

2 Comments:

  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Barb,

    I am a colleague of Ellen's here at Baylor - we met briefly when you helped her move in in July.

    My deepest sympathy to you and your family on Jean's death. I will keep you all in my prayers as you travel to Atlanta and home and as you celebrate her life.

    I have worked with cancer patients in former jobs and it is a devastating time for all. I have also been part of hospice care at the point of death and I came from that experience convicted of the belief that it takes a great deal of courage and faith to let someone die at home. To be present to one another at that time is a very difficult blessing.

    May God's Spirit and grace be with you abundantly as you mourn and in the times to come as you discover anew the loss you feel so deeply now.

    Peace and grace,

    Eileen Bentsen

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger mle said…

    Oh Karen! I wish I could give her (and all the rest of you) a hug.

    Mindy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home