Writing on Reading

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lumanaria


Last night, a beautiful spring evening, was the college's Relay for Life ceremony. I have always supported it by buying lumanaria but until last night have never gone to it. Remembering Jenny's years of walking a track all night long to raise money for cancer research--what good years those were--and being invited by some students who work at the Writing Center, I went. How beautiful the stadium looked with the lumanaria glowing all around its circumference and the letters C-U-R-E up in the stands. After the name-reading, we all walked a silent lap and then I raced home to get Chuck and a camera. They had put the spotlights on by the time we returned, but Chuck and I walked another lap and got pictures of the five lumanaria I had purchased, for Jean, Aunt Ruth, Andy and Bruce Schrier and one for my friend Pris who is in hard battle with cancer right now. The picture (if it uploads with the intermitent connection) is only of Jean's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home