Writing on Reading

Friday, January 26, 2007

Redeeming Childhood

That's the title of a two-decades' old mss I submitted to IVP at its request but which never saw the light of day. Doesn't mean it wasn't relevant, and in fact, it is all the more so today as evidenced by last night's Celebration of the 60th anniversary of the COW's nursery school, which J, E and K all attended. Its philosophy is to let kids be kids, not to use pre-school time to prepare them for later education but to let them pet animals, grow plants, look at books, paint masterpieces, hang on the climber, ride the trikes, sing songs and resolve small disputes. Their name for it is "Green Grow the Children" and I have always been grateful for the school and its wonderful teachers (one now 92 years old and still advocating for kids). The speaker last night claimed that parents' obsession with the FUTURE (ultimately, in his NYC world, getting your kid into Harvard, which means getting them into the right nursery prep. school) is what is denying children a PRESENT in which to exhibit their gifts. If allowed to explore their strengths now, strengths that exhibit themselves in art, in play, in language and something (I didn't take notes and it was late and warm and he spoke in a soft monotone despite his interesting topic), their future would be just fine. I agree. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home