Writing on Reading

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Seasonal Decoration Confusion (or SDC)


The girls and I have always laughed about a house up the street that has its Fourth of July flag, its "scary" witch and its Christmas lights all up at the same time. SDC, we say it is suffering from. Well, the syndrome seems to have hit 912. My Christmas cactus is mixed up. It is in full riotous bloom right now and not in Halloween colors. Long ago, when I was a new faculty wife and young mom, one of the highlights of my month was to go to the College Circle book club (once I got to working full time, I stopped going, but I still have a twinge of regret once a month). Also attending were several wonderful faculty wives (a dying breed these days in any case), a couple of whom were widows or whose husbands had already retired. They became role models to me of how to maintain an active intellectual life while still caring for my family. One of these was Katherine Ferre, (her last name might be familiar to those who know liberal theologians). She was also a poet and I can remember that she had written a poem about her Christmas cactus that has bloomed in July and she likened the blossoms to patriotic flags. I’d love to have a copy of that poem. And, yes, we have seasonal confusion as well. We took the pictures with our new digital camera, which we bought for each other as an early Christmas present when it went on too good a sale to pass up. But we did have one Halloween visitor, a sweet kitty named Aubrey, whose parents are in our church small group. Here she is in all her feline glory.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I goofed up my kitty picture and now it seems that the connections are down. So you'll have to wait until November to see our Halloween guest.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Would you believe that I opened the local newspaper this morning to see an obituary of Katherine Ferre who died in FL at the age of 96?? It was a wonderful summary of her vigorous life of service and creativity. Her husband (who died the year before we came to Wooster...but she stayed even though they had just been here temporarily) had been the theologian from Andover Newton Seminary.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And here I thought that 912 was a Werther-free (and by extension, feline-free) zone!

    Do you think that your future-librarian daughter could help you hunt down a copy of that poem?

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was so frustrated when I inadvertently pushed some button or other before blogger had finished loading my kitty pic! Two more tries after that were unsuccessful. I'll try again tonight so you can see that this particular kitty is worth making an exception over. As for the poem, I doubt it was ever published....hmm, she did publish in the poetry column in the Daily Record for a while. They might have it....

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I actually did try to find the poem when I first read this blog entry - couldn't find it.

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have time to read years' worth of old Daily Records, and other than that kind of local publishing, I don't know that she ever made it to print. Alas. Thanks for trying.

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have time to read years' worth of old Daily Records, and other than that kind of local publishing, I don't know that she ever made it to print. Alas. Thanks for trying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home