Writing on Reading

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"The highest form of morality...."

I have doubled the autographs I have collected from significant late twentieth century authors by getting one from Azar Nafisi last night. Her book, Reading Lolita in Tehran, was the summer reading/essay response for the incoming first years here. (In fact, I helped read the many top exams and my own two students' essays were ranked 11th and 14th, though only the top ten could go to dinner with her--essay writers, that is, not essays.) Nafisi is a dynamic, engaging speaker, and it was a privilege to hear her and to speak with her however briefly. During the public Q&A, I asked her if she were to write a book called "Reading XXX in Baltimore," what three or four contemporary novels would she analyze in order to help her American audience gain empathy for the Muslim world. Surprisingly, she struggled to answer it because she didn't want to list any book that was not Iranian.
Empathy....One of the key phrases from the book, which has become a central theme of this year's forum series, is a quotation she cites from Theodor Adorno: "The highest form of morality is not to feel at home in one's own home." Nafisi's thesis in her book is that only through reading literature (particularly novels) can persons develop empathy for those different from themselves. The primary sin of the characters in the four novels she taught in her clandestine class in Tehran all lacked empathy as (of course) did the Islamic Republic of Iran's regime, which so stifled their self-expression and abused their lives. For her, empathy is the highest good, fostered (only!) by literature and designed to make us uncomfortable with the comforts of our own worldview.

What do you think? How would you finish the sentence "The highest form of morality is...."

I'll give you a clue to my response after having this tumbling round in my mind for several weeks. (Don't continue to read if you would rather figure yours out alone...) Morality for Adorno and Nafisi does not exist in a God-shaped world. They do not refer to "loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind." Hence, however lovely the idea of empathy for others, it cannot thrive or even exist without the spiritual power of God in our lives. However, if we were just to be thinking about obedience to the second table of the law, loving your neighbor as yourself, then this is probably one challenging way to rephrase it. It certainly echoes the significant theme of our being "strangers in a strange land" because we cannot fit comfortably into our culture if we are followers of Jesus. Our loyalties are elsewhere, but I can only not feel at home in my own home if I have another home, the kingdom of God, whose demands on my heart and actions are greater than those posed by people living in a different home than mine (which is American middle-class culture).

The forum theme this year is "Piety and Heresy." (Guess which one is privileged!!) Chuck is going to speak at WCF later this fall after the visit of Michael Ruse who has written about creation/evolution (again, guess the perspective). I think that I am going to respond to the whole forum theme when I speak in November by raising this question of the highest form of morality.

7 Comments:

  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fascinating! I skipped ahead when you said so, and I have begun to ruminate...

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger John Schaefer said…

    The "highest morality" point is important, though, for Evangelical Christians too. Because right now American Evangelicals have become so inward-facing, so blind and oblivious to the outside world, so confident and self-affirming of the rightness of their assertions.

    Of course, I know I'm preaching to the converted - ;) - but isn't there something about looking at ourselves as "aliens and strangers" as we exist within the political and social webs the world has spun for us?

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree, John. It's the old dualism between spiritual salvation and social justice. That's why I think the highest morality quote is an intriguing restatement of part of the law that requires us to "love your neighbor as yourself," but alas it does not grapple with "Love the Lord your God with...." I am starting to work now on a blog response to my nephew on the Pope's lecture in Germany, about which you no doubt also have convictions. See you soon--hopefully!!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. My nephew is Ruberad, John. You'd probably enjoy some of his blogging.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Funny, I work with a John Schaefer (although he goes by Jack).

    After not ruminating for a few weeks, on the spur of the moment, I submit the following answer:

    The highest form of morality is...Phil 2:3 "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

    Maybe a more correct answer is "love your neighbor" (unless 'morality' includes our duty to God), but the point I wanted to get across is that no successful morality can be based on individual happiness, but only on self-denial.

    Without an absolute basis for morality, a Godless world can only attempt to establish a utilitarian link between group-interest and self-interest, which leads only to selfishness.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reading the rest of the post now, I see that I basically got the "right" answer, hitting basically the same theme as Nafisi's empathy, yet remaining orthodox if you shoehorn God's role in morality in through my side-note about "our duty to God". Of course, humbly considering ourselves less than God (recognizing our depravity) is also crucial.

    As Christians, since "our loyalties are elsewhere", what happens to our (required?) "stranger in a strange land" mentality if the cultural mandate is successful? Would not we have created a culture in which Christians feel "at home"? Or (not being postmillenial), is the cultural mandate just a required goal, which will not be fulfilled in this earthly realm, kind of like a global version of our individual sanctification?

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think you'll have to worry about success with the cultural mandate, my dear RR. We must be faithful to plant signposts to the Kingdom, but only God can bring it to fruition ultimately. I have enough trouble with the signposts part. As for a more encompassing verse, what about Micah 6:8, "...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" OT but comprehensive. I appreciate your Phil. reference, though. (P.S. I know you'd like John (and Rachel) as well...connections on the academic and spiritual (and age) level :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home