Writing on Reading

Friday, January 27, 2006

Festival of Faith & Writing

I guess I'd better stop scraping wallpaper and start reading Shalimar the Clown, the newest Rushdie novel--which is very interesting, by the way. I like it much better than The Moor's Last Sigh. I'm a little more than half way through, but other tasks were calling today. The reason? My paper on Rushdie's The Satanic Verses has been accepted at this April's Festival of Faith & Writing at Calvin College (www.calvin.edu/festival)! Rushdie is their featured speaker, but that doesn't mean that I expect he'll stop by this talk. My paper is a very condensed version of the Pro Rege article and in its current permutation is called "The Satanic Verses: Incentive to Dialogue." It's being paired with a talk on Rushdie's Midnight Children (which I have not read). How exciting. Maybe I'm becoming an academic after all these years. I've hung up the scraper and squirty adhesive remover for the evening, and a rental steamer is not available at Lowe's. We'll have to go a-hunting for one tomorrow. So back to my chair and my books. I hope there's still Mozart on (see the previous post) because I'm so tired, I'm about to fall asleep. I need some of Mozart's through-the-centuries energy.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:44 AM, Blogger Ellen said…

    Would you be very nervous if he DID stop by to hear (? do you present it?) your paper?

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Frantically nervous!! Evidently the other paper is much more sympathetic to him (though I am not, as you know, entirely negative...as the Calvin folk wrote me, "Your paper engages Rushdie more critically, which should make for an interesting and lively conversation.") These are two 20 minute talks (not read papers--they emphasized that--because the audience "includes a large number of enthusiastic but non-specialist readers"). Evidently, according to Gladys, who has been to many FF&W, the big guns fly in and immediately fly out. Marilynne Robinson is another of their "big names."

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yipee!!!!! K will be happy to have you in town then too. :)

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger E. Collison said…

    Thanks for the comments on Rushdie's latest - The Moor's Last Sigh was very frustrating. (Started out very well, turned into a mess after that.) Now I'm properly psyched.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home