Writing on Reading

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

More on Christmas Music, and Worship Music in general

In the pause between getting K home from Michigan and some of the entertaining tomorrow and Saturday, I want to reply to Tom, (Dad), John and Bruce. Perhaps not reply but consider further....and to give thanks for CDs and our local NPR/Classical music station (WKSU, one of the best in the country I claim unapologetically), which this week is playing all Christmas all day (9 a.m. to 3 p.m) under the tutelage of Mark Pennell, a terrific announcer/teacher/believer. Count on Tom to go to the heart of the matter to pinpoint consumerism and idolatry. We miss regular interaction with you, Tom! Something you said several years ago at a regional staff conference, however, complicates matters a bit, making me wonder what role class plays in the whole matter and what role being missionaries does.

Class first. Dad scoffs at not just CCM—I doubt he even knows about that genre though it was that one represented on the Christian radio station—but some of the praise choruses we sing in our services. At the same time he is a country music fan who loves to dance to line-dance music and play his harmonica to computer generated songs. Just a couple of weeks ago, a dear man in our church had “special music” in which he not only sang but also surprised us all when he pulled a harmonica out of his pocket and played some. Suffice it to say that such “special music” would never happen in Calvin CRC. Yet it cheered the hearts of many in our church, which is full of farmers and factory workers and the unschooled and unemployed. R. was offering this music to God as worship and to the congregation as a gift. Even some of our best performing musicians have no musical education and learn what they sing by ear, not by reading music. Our worship leaders work hard to chose only the best of the choruses as well as the best of the hymns (I don’t know that we always succeed, but we always try). Many of the church’s grumps about praise music love the worst of the hymns, the ones they sang when they were teens or young adults. They stand or sit there and scowl during the musical portion of worship—and we do blended worship—killing the spirit of worship for many who are trying. I have observed over these ten years of this kind of worship that many of the new things are very dated—popular for a while and then I (at least) tire of them easily. A sign, I think, that they are not among “the best.” But some have survived.

Missionary: Tom, you said several years ago, that while you don’t enjoy much of the music sung by the students these days, you are a missionary to those students and thus you (what’s the right verb? Make use of? Employ? Sing?) them. One of the reasons we don’t stick to the old CMA hymn book is that we are trying not to be a dying church, catering to the over 70 set in every regard, the people who are resisting every kind of change that makes us a place welcoming to the young (who have left in droves), to the people who haven’t just grown up in the CMA, to the students at the college, to….anyone who is not “us.” Their scowls don’t help. If God is the God of all cultures, and all cultures have both good and bad in them, then surely there is good represented among those cultures’ music that can be given as offerings back to him and as means to reach out to those cultures. Cf. Acts 17 in this regard. It takes discernment among the body to sift out the consumerist and idolatrous and to employ the good (if not best), but surely that is a task those of us who have a musical education, who have an understanding of culture and missions must take on. What we prefer to listen to in our homes may not be what we always sing or play at church or on campus.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    I bet not many of those 70 year olds are sitting there in church with their children and their grand-children. If our society had been able to hang together, the old folks might have been able to inculcate value into those teenagers.

    As you all know, the problem is not with the 'contemporary-ness' of this music. It is the that it is, WRT its message, off by 180 degrees. How much can you go on singing about your own attitude and relationship, love etc. before you get sick of it? Musically, it is for the most part what the Monkeys or Vanilla Fudge were in the 60s/70s.I would think if the world would accidentally stumble in some Sunday and hear this they would say, "Oh, how cute, they are trying to be like us now. How long ago did they give up trying to be separate?"

    I think one of the factors is how easy it is to put together a music dept. in churches that have no connection with or any respect for the educational efforts required to produce music of value. (Read: nobody can play organ or piano well, so we have to water it down to 3 chords [ever heard a hymn with 17 chords played with just 3 of them, I have and I can't take it.] so that our high-schoolers can whip out their Fenders and have at it.)

    Sadly, we get this garbage when there are lots of talented folks around the world who can and do put together great music decent words. The Church of the Servant outfit in GR had an incredible musical offering. But it took a lot of effort. Basically, it consisted of folk music from numerous cultures around the world.

    Where I am at now, (no longer Crossroads, BTW) I get to hear the best organ in (perhaps) the state of Ca. and a pretty good choir of mostly 60+ somethings. With this arrangement, I don't have to gawk at scantily clad teenage girls "leading "worship" up in front. I admit, I am now where I am for the musical entertainment. After what I have been through for the last 25 years, I deserve a break.

    [Maybe sometime I tell you what I really think.]

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Sorry for the assorted typos. I got a little excited there. BTW, we, the Settergren family in CA were in on the early days of CCM. I think it was the first phase after the Jesus movement of the 60s. We got a heavy dose of what I called 'Holy Ghost Polkas'. However, a great majority of them were right straight out of the Psalms. In fact, I marked all of them right in my KJV and can spot them all now today. They were good.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So where are you, if not at Crossroads??

    We don't have and never have had anyone who can play the organ. Until Julie came, we had only moderately adequate, stumblingly adequate piano players, and Julie can't read hymns. She can read music and understands the technicalities of chording but usually only plays by chords. We've never had anyone who could offer what Calvin CRC has and does. IVCF understands the notion of excellent multicultural music and attempts it all the time. Our Chloe, who is an Oberlin-trained pianist and singer, won a Calvin Worship award to increase the awareness and adequacy of m-c worship in her IVCF area. We don't have scantily clad worship leaders and, yes, I get tired of singing about self and emotions too...but we work hard to chose the God-centered ones.

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    fpcsd.org for now. As Reuben said, I am officially a church hopper. I checked out christurc.org and decided that I just couldn't bear the pain my ears would have had to undergo listening to their piano. But, check out there "articles" and "books" section. Their church's proclaiming, teaching and application are the cats pajamas.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The mission mandate is often cited in this context, but certainly it does not mandate either mediocrity or, worse, cultural captivity. Christian mission necessarily involves the capcity to be counter-cultural, to be "against the world for the world."

    One respondent asserts that IVCF "understands the concept of multi-cultural music and attempts it at all times." I have been around the block a few times with IVCF and I would say that this sort of comment is simply understandable, wishful, but, more importantly, self-serving, rationalizing nonsense. What characterizes IVCF (and its parent evangelicalism) is a rather mindless default into "world" consumer music. Or to put it from my perspective in equally accurate terms, IV defaults mindlessly into the commercially produced and marketed music that pervades world-wide commericial culture. And make no mistake, this commericial culture powerfully emasculates and destroys the smaller, less affluent, genuinely diverse cultures across the globe.

    All of this saddens me greatly. What actually angers me (makes my face grim!) is the passivity of my IV staff colleagues in the face of our consumer culture's impact not just on our music (bad enough) but also on our worship, its understand and practice. Evangelicalism is so liturgically bankrupt, confused, and accomodated as to be repulsive. When the idol of consumer relevance is enshired in the center of our passions and our worship, the result is a wasting cancer that will destroy us from in inside out, just as a quite different idolatry consumed Israel. The stakes, I believe, are far more significant, than the discussion, which is often quite trivializing, suggests.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tom, I respect what you say and you have so much more knowledge than I about IV (specifically) that I defer to it. However, I want to defend what Chloe and others are doing by attending the Calvin Worship seminars and attempting to be sensitive to the cultures of the campus. I don't see her just mindlessly consuming culture at large. Beyond that I can't say...
    In the face of what you say, I have two questions. 1) For how far back in church history do you go with your indictment of worship practices absorbing the culture? Since the advent of mass marketing perhaps? 2) Who in these days has successfully resisted this trend? To whom can those of us who are not as knowledgable (for whatever reason, class, education, opportunity)look to for guidance in our musical worship? Are there some fine musicians (within IV and in the church at large) who are producing what you would regard as not idolatrous stuff?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home