Writing on Reading

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Curmudgeon??

What's up with me? Am I turning into an old curmudgeon like the ones who so exasperate me (at church)?? Twice in one week now I am turning my nose up at the contemporary cultural offerings available all around. First flowers (Jenny saw even worse ones, electric blue with glitter, at her grocery store in Washington PA!!), and now music. Riding around doing errands this morning, "Car Talk" ended and since I never have enjoyed "What Do You Know?" I turned to the Cleveland Christian station playing Christmas music. But it was all in ccm style with throbbing drums and unfocused voices. Yuck. (My father would say, "I told you so. This is what you get when you dabble in contemporary praise style worship.") It was a relief to get home and put on my Michaela Petrie and Chanticleer Christmas CDs. And less you think we are too elitist here, we are looking forward to a great basketball game tonight, Wooster (ranked second in the D3hoops poll) versus our arch-rival, Wittenburg, ranked 3rd in the same poll. Go Woo.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And go they did. We beat Witt 86-83 with an almost halfcourt shot with four seconds left to go. I don't think that too many of us can stand much more excitement (at least in the faculty section). This news is for you, Reuben :):)

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mom, You'll be glad to know that WalMart only had appropriately colored pointettias this morning when I was there...

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Curmudgeon might be on target, but I would prefer "realist." Indeed, I am with your father, for the most part. Make the consumer culture the driving force of worship for Christians, and the currently developing evangelical disaster is inevitable. What we call worship become indistinguishable from the advertising jargon of consumer capitalism. It's not just that the music you heard on your car radio was musically uninteresting and mediocre, it's that the "faith" that it represents so fits its cultural context that it ceases to be distinctively Christian. Idolatry always produces this result.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said…

    Rachel likes to listen to the CCM station in the early morning. More and more of the songs annoy both of us so much that we wake up out of anger and frustration...

    I always like to point out the "Christian ministry" station when it's playing Sinatra songs about Santa Clause, further contributing to the poor state of basic Christian knowledge among today's young people...

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Not you too!! I thought it was just those with bad attitudes that didn't like CCM.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Go Woo!!! (I'm just catching up on my blog-reading)

    As for attitudes, mine's the worst! Music was my principal reason for wanting out of LWC, and as a bonus, I also discovered rigorous doctrine!

    We do our share of extra-hymnal songs, but I do have to grudgingly (curmudgeonly?) admit that the book of praise songs we compiled for ourselves has only the best of the best.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home