Writing on Reading

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Not all change is evolution....

When I raced into the grocery store late Friday afternoon, almost immediately I came screeching to a halt because there among the pointsettias begging to be purchased were several with lilac (lavendar??) leaves. Now I love purple flowers, but lilac pointsettias? How dreadful is that? I reached over to touch them, figuring certainly they must be fake. But no. And then in the mail yesterday came a brochure from one of my favorite greenhouses saying that these days you can get p. in any color of the rainbow you'd like (unless you're a traditionalist who wants red or white or some combination)--to match your favorite team's colors, for example. (Brown and orange in northern Ohio?) I'd say this is not a sign of progress. Bah humbug!

I will be confronting the lilac pointsettias several more times this week as I will undoubtedly be at my favorite grocery store more than once...I provide an at-home breakfast buffet for my FYS for their last class of the semester (Thursday) and we have traditionally hosted the WCF caroling party at our house on Friday, after the last day of classes. Much baking awaits for fthe two groups of hungry student: fifteen Thursday and between 30 and 60 (who knows??) Friday, but I have to get the supplies....The next few times I go to the store, however, I will sail right on by the lilac flowers, list in hand and concentrating on important traditions.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:57 AM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Don't know about the flowers but I would almost pay to see you race into the store (not to mention come to a screeching halt)!

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm always hurrying from one place to the next (racing is probably an exaggeration) because there are always more tasks to accomplish than time to do them in. Particularly during the last week of classes. Last week I slid down a wet-leaves-covered muddy, shallow bank going from work to a meeting with no time between the end of one and the beginning of the other. It took two days to soak out the mud from my slacks! No injuries, though, because I didn't fight the fall. I'm glad there was no one around with a camera, however!

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    would that be like this poinsettia?

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, that one is almost acceptable in my book because it is more regally burgandy like. Think fairy-wing lilac, think Mrs. Kreider's outfits, think pastel nothingness. Whatever it is, it isn't Christmas.

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How funny, I came upon the lilac version just today while out Christmas shopping and I too came to a screeching halt with jaw dropping and head shaking. I'll take the Christmas red thank you very much!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home