Writing on Reading

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Of making many cat names there is no end

Ellen's cats (see her blog, Stranger in a Strange Land) are 7 month old sibblings (male and female), whom she named after sibblings from a science fiction film/series (?) she likes, "Fireflies," I believe. However, Karen took exception to the names....Here's the gist of my phone conversation with her after Ellen revealed Simon and River as the names and also after Karen had named them while they were still nameless. She had promptly picked Isabella and Isaac, which Chuck in turn promptly shortened to Izzy and Ike. (Now, you understand, that Ellen would never go to the off-beat when it comes to human children's names...she's all for the classic ones.)

Here is the gist of K's and my second phone conversation:

Mom: Ellen named her kitties.
Karen: Oh? Isabella and Isaac?
Mom: No. Simon and River.
K: What?!?? River is no name for a cat. How about Emma and Ed?
M: We already have an Ed cat in the family--Uncle Rod's cat, remember?
K: Well then, Simon and Samantha?
Mom: I like all your names, but Ellen gets to name her own cats. (We can call them what we want anyhow as long as we're not in Texas....)
Karen: I WON'T call the cats Simon and River. I know, I know. What about Buda and Pest? Budapest is German for Hungary and cats are always hungry. Simon can be Buda and River can be Pest.
Mom: Oh, that's good. Ellen says that River is the pest-y one. And Simon is the cuddly one.
Karen: (Softening her opposition) Well, ok. Buda and Pest can be their middle names. Simon Buda and River Pest. I'm tired. I didn't get home from work until 4:30 so I couldn't take an afternoon snooze. I yawned while I talked with Aunt Robin on the phone. Can we pray now?

5 Comments:

  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger mle said…

    Mom H,
    That is precious--it makes me miss the Hampton clan.
    Hope you're doing a good job of finishing well so far.
    Mindy

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mindy, I love keeping up with your life via your fantastic pictures and your occasional comments on them. You know that Annie has copied you in her desire to post a new photo every day. Keep up the good work and I hope you get your camera some day soon.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Ellen said…

    I particularly like "Budapest is German for Hungary." Hee!

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Buda and Pest are such good pet names it almost makes me want to get two cats just so I can use them!!

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The key word in your sentence is "almost." :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home