It is Satisfying...

...to receive two ribbons at the Wayne County Fair, a blue ribbon for the sampler (or sampler set, I'm not sure because we couldn't get close enough and the women to received the pieces last Wednesday couldn't tell me yet) and a red ribbon for the Book of Kells illuminated mss. face plate to Matthew (peacocks). I myself would probably have reversed the ribbons just because of the difficulty of the Kells peacocks, but they were judged in different categories--having to do with size of the weave of the cloth, not against each other. The Best of Show was a circular piece of wolves (not a topic for stitching in my mind, but "'to each his own,' said the woman as she kissed the cow"--as my dearly departed mother-in-law was fond of repeating. Her quilts, by the way, might have done well in fierce competition). We will return after church tomorrow and if we get new batteries for the camera, I'll take a picture of the wolves for comparison sake.
In the meantime, a bit of nostalgia today with a home football game and great band half time show. Good thing we left when we were well ahead and didn't know we eventually lost!--our teams did not fare well today--Chuck may be razzed from the pulpit again tomorrow about Michigan's loss. There's still hope for Hope and Baylor playing tonight with Hampton supporters in the stands. We won't say it is the last time for the fair as I still have more free tickets that are part of the deal for entering something. Now--time to review tomorrow's SS lesson and get to bed.
Update: Sunday afternoon. Well, we’ll have to settle for one out of four…at least Baylor won. SS was great though ☺. It was raining as we left church, so we are waiting for a few hours for the expected clearing up and will go back to the Fair with Annie (our IV staff member).

2 Comments:
At 2:51 PM,
Unknown said…
The wolves must be amazing if yours did not take first. Beautifully done Barb! I remember you working on this piece when you were out visiting and knew it would be outstanding when finished. It is.
At 8:50 PM,
Anonymous said…
What I remember is Lucas' fascination with the concept of "mirror image," and how he wanted to "order up" one for himself....As far as the wolves are concerned, it really think it is a matter of taste. I would never hang them up on my wall, but I'm a snob. They were also stitched on size 14 material, while the peacocks were on 28 (much harder). Oh well. The judges did not make any comments on my work so that I can understand their evaluations. It was just fun to do this one (first/last) time. But thanks for YOUR evaluation. Your photograhy would have done well, I'm sure, but those walls were so crowded that it was hard for me to even discern an individual photo.
Post a Comment
<< Home