Writing on Reading

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Finish Well


Classes begin tomorrow for our last year at the College of Wooster. I began work last week, but students will be a part of life now for the remaining weeks and months. We are beginning a series of "lasts," some nostalgic, a few delighted in. Our Writing Center office has moved and so I can't finish within my comfort zone. (The move is almost symbolic of many changes that have and will be taking place.) However, because I asked and because my request is justifiable, I am alone among the staff to have a office of my own. In fact, it is a beautiful office. On one of the tables there is a framed motto that I have cross-stitched that reads "Finish Well" in COW colors. Ellen used this phrase many times during her missionary moving days, and I am adopting it to remember to do the work I am called to do here and not to live in the future. I can look forward to the next week, though, which will include our annual welcome to first years picnic on the (finally finished) newly stained deck (it needed a second coat on the floor proper because of the difference in stain color) and the first class of our fall Adult Ed class at church, the last one we will be teaching. It is called "Land of Promise." We're really looking forward to that opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home