Writing on Reading

Monday, January 29, 2007

Note to self

...Self: never tell great-nephew that the movie you are recommending is PG because it has "a few bad words" because then he will want to know what those words are. (We are in the middle of a lively email exchange these days.) I'm too far removed from inquisitive six year olds to remember this reality. Sigh. Sorry, #1's mom and dad, for getting you and me into this fix. I didn't tell and told him I wouldn't, but that won't stop his curiosity.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Take a look at #1's dad's take on the situation at his blog! It made me chuckle.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mea culpa, mea culpa.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is no condemnation...

    I just think it's funny!

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Also, no condemnation, it really is just funny.

    I have always found that when #1 asks questions like "What are bad words?" it's best to answer the question with a question ("What do YOU think bad words are?") That is always more fruitful than just answering his question. It also helps you gauge where his mind is on the topic.

    I am reminded of a comedy skit I saw where the little girl ask her dad where poo comes from. The dad went into a lengthy explanation of the digestive and excretory systems to which the little girl asks "So where does Eyeore come from?"

    Doesn't quite work so well in print, but you get it.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's no doubt that God gave # 1, 2, and 3 to you two for good reasons. We have gotten a good laugh out of it here as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home