Writing on Reading

Friday, September 23, 2005

So Many Books....

So Little Time.

Once the semester begins, I can only wistfully look at the pile of books either by my chair in the living room or on my desk in my office or the virtual pile/scrap of paper somewhere close by. Fall break, maybe, but that is given over mostly to Karen?? Sunday afternoons do allow me to dip into the one on top, however briefly.

Anyhow, here is the current pile:

1) Passion for the Impossible by Miriam Rockness. A biography of Lilias Trotter, an amazing woman, destined to have become a famous Victorian watercolorist, but who went instead with a tiny group of likeminded women to share the gospel in Algeria. I've read it before, but it is worth re-reading, even though the edition now possible to buy does not have color plate reproductions of her paintings. The gals who worked in Turkey and Egypt this summer make me think they are her heirs.

2) Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell. The newest novel by Cleveland's own great writer of philosophical science fiction. This one, however, is historical fiction based in WWII Italy. Ellen got me this at her discounted price while she was still at Borders.

3) Bookseller of Kabul by Anse Seierstad. A journalist's account of the immediate post-Taliban days (with looks back to their lives prior) of a remarkable familly she met while reporting on the war. Thanks, Jill, for recommending this.

4) According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy. It would be helpful for background as we teach an adult S.S. class which is tracing six biblical themes through the "Big Picture" of creation, fall, prophecy, partial OT fulfillment, Jesus's redemption, and ultimate restoration.

5) Hunters in a Narrow Street by Jabra
6) A Woman of Nazareth by Jabbour Both these were mentioned in an article in the theme issue of Muslim-Christian Dialogue (in which my overview of books on that topic appeared), novels from the Palestine area. Not easily obtainable even from used booksites, so I keep renewing my ILL dates. I don't know how the prof who wrote about them finds them to assign to his classes.

7) The Fall of the Imam by Nawal Sa'adawi. I am teaching an excerpt from her prison memoir for my First Year Seminar. I'd love to read her fiction...I wonder if it is as didactic as the memoir?

So Little Time....An Occasional Post

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 AM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    So little time for posting, eh? Not a priority of yours, I guess. (Just putting a little pressure on you to be even more productive). I recognize number 4 as a Christmas present from you 3 years back.

    Ya' wanna see my pile?

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sure, I wanna see your pile.
    I'd love to blog some about my course, but I am struggling with ethical issues of disclosure since this is a public, i.e., findable place. What you're doing is creating reading journals for your texts, but I've already done that (thankfully, since I would not be surviving now if I hadn't done so in the summer for all these next texts I'm teaching). However, last Thursday a couple of students took advantage of a great teachable moment that is too good to go un reported. I'm still figuring how how....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home