Writing on Reading

Thursday, September 01, 2005

More on Christian responses to poverty. The needs of our hearts

A student recently wrote me a long, thoughtful letter in response to my "To-Do List" entry about the poverty I had encountered on my trip to Egypt. Because it advances the discussion going on in this (small) circle, s/he has given me permission to post it here anonymously (though I think the author deserves recognition and will one day receive it). Bruce, pay particular attention!

Dear. Mrs. Hampton,

I’ve read your blog, which I found very insightful and packed full of interesting ideas, and (perhaps more importantly) good questions. I wanted to take a moment to respond to your blog entitled “To-Do List.”

I very much appreciated your perceptive comment about the “pharisaical danger” in checking off our own personal lists of religiously motivated activities. You make the point, both explicitly and implicitly, that what is most important is a change of heart. Your reflections about “living more simply” seemed especially related to my own personal questions about what our response, as Christians, should be to the poverty that permeates our “neighborhoods.” I’d like to offer what I feel I’ve learned thus far concerning the matter…

As a person who has grown up in a family that is quite poor by American standards, I’ve often asked myself what defines poverty. Surely there are a number of sociological measures that are debated and revised and further disputed. But these ideas are not really what interest me. How does God see poverty? Who is really “without”? I think that true poverty is much more an issue of the heart than it is of material goods. A woman could have all she needs, every worldly luxury, and still be consumed by the very same fear, anxiety, futility and hopelessness that we believe only befalls the poorest individual. And, the poorest man, without hope of earning or receiving life’s barest necessities, might find the rest, contentment, joy and peace expected only to rest on the wealthiest of persons. With those living in lack and those living in abundance, the question (as with any other issue) is this: How is the heart posturing itself before the Lord?

I think a lot of Americans who have been exposed to poverty (either in the U.S. or abroad) struggle with feeling guilty about what they have. I am realizing more and more that the poverty I have experienced can really only be described as “relative” when compared to the horrible conditions individuals and families face in other countries and (yes!) in the U.S. as well. By the standards of many, I am living a very good life. Yet, I believe we as American Christians shouldn’t view our wealth with disdain—it only consists of objects that are powerless by themselves; instead, we should fear allowing our hearts to love those objects and things instead of God—for in the moment they are elevated above God they become not objects but idols with the power to harden our hearts. When this happens, it is easier to set our hearts and affections on things, on comfort and pleasure, more than the Lord or those around us in need. Our hearts grow cold in this because God has designed it so that our hearts are only expanded and softened when we worship Him.

There are many examples, both Biblical and contemporary, that show us God does not shy away from giving people material and monetary wealth. He does this out of His sovereignty, not because one person deserves it more or less than another. Really, having wealth is not so much a compliment as a test: “And to whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom they commit much, of him will they ask the more” (Luke 12:48). As individuals who have been placed by Gods hand, design and destiny in a wealthy nation, I believe the first step is to combat our guilt, shame, or even confusion with a thankful heart. Lord, forgive us for not being thankful. I think of my own family’s situation. We are (contrary to what we have hoped and expected) living in a very small house that most other families our size would probably be embarrassed to inhabit (again, by American standards). But then I remember these things: I live in a house with running water, with electricity and a working bathroom. We have appliances, including a refrigerator, microwave, oven, washer, and dryer. We have air conditioning and heat, internet and phone service. We have food. We often wish we had another vehicle, as it is quite a task to share on car among 6 people, but then I remember to be thankful: we have a car! I am so thankful.

Phil. 4:12-13:
I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances and I know also how to enjoy plenty and living abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want. I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers and strengthens me; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me.

But the Lord requires more than a thankful heart. (Now, for the most difficult part!) We are not to hold onto what we have with clenched fists. Instead, it should rest on our palms, lifted up to Him. We should be not only waiting but also looking for an opportunity to give these things away. If we have thankful hearts, and if we love the Lord more than what He has given us, whatever these gifts may be, then we will be ready, moved by compassion, love, and selflessness, when we have the opportunity to give. And we must always be ready. If the Lord required me to give up my computer, jewelry, keepsakes, the car, money, my hopes, my dreams this instant, could I do it? Would I obey? What things have come to occupy a place in our hearts so that they usurp His proper place in our lives? What things have we come to love more than Him? Lord help us. I am convicted even as I write these words.

The challenge is to give not of our excess, but of what is at the very core. And what is at the core is different for each person. One practical step you might take, in response to your recent journey, is to simply ask God what earthly treasures He desires you to release in exchange for His eternal treasure. As God continues to break your heart for the poor (remembering your story of visiting the slums of Chicago in your youth, I know that He has been doing this long before you visited Turkey and Egypt), and as He molds you, continually softening your heart and making you more and more like Him, you may find that He is requiring more of you than He did even a year ago, because your heart, being even more tender, is now able to respond to Him in ways it could not then. (As I say these things, I am challenged in my own heart! What is God requiring of me right now?) We know that everything is in its proper place when we live like the Kingdom is worth all we have. And all for love. Not because the Lord needs what we have (for He surely could have and give whatever He wants) but because the need of our own hearts is as great, if not greater, than the physical and material needs of the poor.

In all these things, these scriptures ring clear:

Matt. 6:21, 13:44 & 19:21
Luke 12:13-34

Love.....

2 Comments:

  • At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Mom Hampton (which is how you are known to me!) I have a question and a comment.
    The question is: Do you mind me passing on your blog link to my Mum, she works on religious studies and would be interested in your writing/work.

    And the comment was just to congratulate your student on her perceptive analysis. I am not poor, I am living an impossibly rich life whilst I work for the poor in 'You-know-where'. I still feel guilty about that at times, and sometimes I need that sharp reminder of my blessings and also who and what I am working for. The poor are always with you, remarked Jesus, I think he intended us to make sure they didn't get left behind in our daily concerns about herselves.
    However, I don't beat myself up about it all the time because as your author so rightly pointed out, I think it is the attachment to your worldly goods that is the problem, not their existence. If there is one thing living overseas has taught me (with irritating regularity) is that you can't get too attached to your possessions. After all, you never know when you will be required to move, travel, or when they will be stolen, broken or just lost in another move. It kind of forcibly removes your attachment. But I'm glad, because mostly I can say like Paul, I have learned to live in all circumstances. (Please note, UNLIKE Paul I don't always do it gladly - but at least I'm learning to do it.)

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen! I've seen poverty across the world from Africa to Asia to the projects of Chattanooga. It looks different in different places, but many of the same responses is needed; love another; watch over the widow, the fatherless, the orphan; free the oppressed; seek justice; show mercy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home