Writing on Reading

Sunday, August 07, 2005

A perfect day for the beach

Sandwiched in between an emergency 24-hour trip to PA to help suddenly car-less daughter #1 and the big trip to move daughter #2 to NC to grad school was my long weekend trip to MI to enjoy a reunion with daughter #3 and to bring her her little gifts from Turkey and Egypt. Yesterday we loaded up the car with as little beach paraphenalia as we could get away with and drove out to Holland State Park, as nice a beach as anyone could want. We would have done it anyhow, but in part this was to make up for the missed beach trip her dad had planned with her except that he broke his toe the day before my departure. And sure enough, we had a wonderful afternoon. Cloudless blue sky, soft waves, clean beaches, colorful sailboats floating past, lighthouse guarding us all, happy family interactions to witness, a good book to read, and kids galore for K to love. It's still ok at the beach for a "strange" woman to build sandcastles with three year olds as mom and their parents look indulgently on though it is no longer ok for her to approach unknown kids at the city pool. We enjoyed every minute of it until we began to fry and it was time to go home. The bonus? Running into some IVCF friends from Ohio/Michigan -- imagine, just like seeing those friends you've lost touch with at the local grocery store....only a more lovely setting!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Bruce S said…

    Around here, they use the Sig-Alert signs on the freeway to announce that all the beach parking is full.

    I stay away. I am pretty thoroughly anti-social when it comes to people.

    I thought lake Michigan had that dead fish smell and flies. No?

    Apparently, you had a great time and for that I am glad.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Barb said…

    Lake Michigan must have been cleaned up sometime between your memory of it and the present. I am not a fan of sand and all the cleanup, but the positives far outweigh the negatives, particularly when it is a treat to go and not just the beach down the road as in Southern California (though I remember a wonderful morning at the beach with a toddler Lucas the day of Tony's wedding :):))

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can count me as a "strange woman" building sandcastles and playing with 3 year olds at the beach as well, and I love every minute of it.

    Deborah

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's something special about that environment with families (sometimes on vacation) interacting in loving ways and a general relaxed attitude. I have some fallout re my feet though--after a great summer with them (esp. on the trip), walking in the sand and in sandals did me in. Pain!! Hopefully it won't last.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home