February Reading List
Since we are well into March, I'd better post my February books. As I predicted, not as many as in January, but still a decent number. (OK, so it's not a race.)
1. The Translator by Leila Aboulela Recommended by Calvin College's head librarian, I liked this novel, set in Scotland and Sudan, very much. Sutble and (Muslim) faith-exploring. I could add this to my list of Muslim immigrant books (if I ever hear that Calvin will invite me to teach such a course) if I expand from just Muslim-American fiction.
2. Chicago by Alan al Aswany. I heard about this book on NPR and Jenny got it for me for Christmas. Alas, it is not subtle. It certainly wasn't the book I had expected. Glad I have read it but won't be adding it to my M-A list, I don't think.
3. Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth. I saw this one on a table at Schulers (a great G.R. bookstore). Historical fiction set in 1914 Iraq. Archaeology vs Oil. Has the potential to be a thriller but fall short of that (perhaps Booker prize winners don't write thrillers??). OK.
4. Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth Bailey. Whatever Bailey writes gives new and deeper insights into Scripture, in this case, Jesus's birth story, his parables, his encounters with women, and some of the other narratives, with his "hermeneutical Christology" at work on the text. Wonderful!! Highly recommended.
That will do it until next month.
1. The Translator by Leila Aboulela Recommended by Calvin College's head librarian, I liked this novel, set in Scotland and Sudan, very much. Sutble and (Muslim) faith-exploring. I could add this to my list of Muslim immigrant books (if I ever hear that Calvin will invite me to teach such a course) if I expand from just Muslim-American fiction.
2. Chicago by Alan al Aswany. I heard about this book on NPR and Jenny got it for me for Christmas. Alas, it is not subtle. It certainly wasn't the book I had expected. Glad I have read it but won't be adding it to my M-A list, I don't think.
3. Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth. I saw this one on a table at Schulers (a great G.R. bookstore). Historical fiction set in 1914 Iraq. Archaeology vs Oil. Has the potential to be a thriller but fall short of that (perhaps Booker prize winners don't write thrillers??). OK.
4. Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth Bailey. Whatever Bailey writes gives new and deeper insights into Scripture, in this case, Jesus's birth story, his parables, his encounters with women, and some of the other narratives, with his "hermeneutical Christology" at work on the text. Wonderful!! Highly recommended.
That will do it until next month.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home